Friday, 2 September 2011

Reflections

This week I have been reflecting upon the wonderful 23 things city. I have found a lot of new tools on the internet and been persuaded to try new things. After much though I decided to join linked in. My favourite things have been twitter and Delicious. I am also experimenting with evernote at the moment and am enjoying it.

23 things city has been useful in pushing me to experiment with new web-based tools. Some of the things  I knew about but didn’t have a reason to experiment with. I think it’s a shame that there aren’t more people from bibliographic services on 23 things. These new tools cannot help but improve the student experience and that has to be our chief motive in City ILS. I wonder if we did more resource based things next time (including social cataloguing) it might persuade them.

I think I will carry on using some of the things I have learnt here even after I have received my certificate and chocolate cake.

Below I helpfully listed each week with a few thoughts.

Week 1 Blogs 
This week was good at it made me set up a blog. I knew how to do this but I hadn’t done it before.

Week 2 iGoogle & Keeping up to date 

igoogle was not that useful but I have been using RSS feeds a lot since first setting up a reader this week.

Week 3 Pictures 
This was a very interesting week. 


Week 4 Social Networking 
Since setting up a twitter account this week I have become a bit of a convert. I was also persuaded to set up a linked in account which has been good so far.


Week 6 Office 2.0 

I enjoyed making a prezi but I didn’t like doodle as much.

Week 7 Sharing 
I have used wikis before but I liked slideshare (the youtube of powerpoints). I am quite interested in delicious. I wonder if we could use it in the library to produce resource lists.

Week 8 Multimedia 
I am still not convinced by ‘crazy’ library videos.  

Week 9 Search engines beyond Google 

To be honest I didn’t find week 9 so useful but I am planning to investigate Phil Bradley’s website in later innovation times.


Overall I have really enjoyed 23 things city and I give it 10/10

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked delicious, we are using it for resource lists, you'll see these on the new subject guides. More resources being added all the time, but for now you can see the tag cloud at http://libguides.city.ac.uk/content.php?pid=234596&sid=1941122

    Rowena 23 things team

    ReplyDelete